Income assistance

Are you having problems with getting income assistance from the government? Were you turned down for a government income benefit or have been cut off of a benefit? Were you were told you were overpaid and have to pay it back?  We can help.

Income issues are often linked to other problems like job loss, discrimination, housing problems, and consumer and debt problems. Contact us to find out about your legal rights.

Several government programs give income assistance:

Ontario Works: Financial assistance for people who have no other income.

Ontario Disability: Income support for people who have a disability and are unable to work.

Canada Pension Plan Disability: Income support for people who were previously working but are now unable to work because of a disability.

Employment Insurance: Financial assistance if you can’t work at your job temporarily.

Canada Child Benefit: A monthly payment to parents with children under the age of 18.

Public Retirement Pensions, including:

  • Canada Pension Plan Retirement: A retirement benefit for people who contributed to the plan while working.
  • Old Age Pension: A pension paid to everyone when they turn 65.The amount of the benefit is reduced if you have other income over a certain amount.
  • Guaranteed Income Supplement: A benefit paid to top up those people whose combined CPP and OAS pensions are below a certain amount.