Emergencies: Are you homeless or about to become homeless?

Emergency housing

Local Ontario Works (OW) offices may be able to assist with emergency housing if you are homeless.  Belleville also has a homeless shelter, Grace Inn. If you are being evicted for rent arrears, you can ask for funds from the Housing and Homelessness Fund.  You can use the money to pay back rent you owe and stop your eviction, or to pay set-up costs at a new residence.

Local OW offices in our area:

Enrichment Centre for Mental Health offers transitional housing for the homeless in Hastings and Prince Edward Counties.

Hastings Housing Resource Centre (HHRC) has listings of available housing, and has information and support for tenants. They help residents of Hastings County find immediate housing. Landlords can list units for free.

The HHRC also has emergency assistance information on their website. This emergency page will provide you with information on housing, food, shelters, addiction, financial assistance, counselling, medical help and clothing.

Financial help

CALC’s Financial Resources for Tenants tip sheet lists places you can get funds to help with rent.

Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) gives emergency financial help for electricity or gas bills. See our LEAP Tip Sheet for how and where to apply.

Showers and personal supplies

The John Howard Society in Belleville has a Warm Room and Shower Program, where you can use their showers. (See their flyer for other services/items available such as phones and wifi.) It is open now and will be operating through to March 2021. The Warm Room is Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm.  Showers are available Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:00 am – 1:00 pm. (shampoo/towels provided).  Call 613-968-6628 for more info.

Housing for young people

Youthab’s Transition Home provides safe and affordable housing to young people aged 16 – 24 who are looking for a home but are not ready to live on their own yet.

Youthab’s Co-Operative Housing Program provides safe and affordable housing to young people aged 16 – 24 who are ready for semi-independent living.

Shelters for victims of domestic violence

See our Domestic Violence emergencies page.

Food emergencies

Hastings & Prince Edward Counties

Local food banks are:

Gleaners Food Bank
25 Wallbridge Crescent, Belleville, Ontario

Belleville Salvation Army Food Bank
295 Pinnacle Street, Belleville, Ontario

The Food Access Guide gives information about free or low cost food and meal programs.

Hastings County Community Services Booklet (2021) has information on food banks and meal programs.

Community Development Council of Quinte runs the Good Food Box and Good Baby Box programs. These boxes provide fresh fruits and vegetables and are available for anyone.

Lennox & Addington County

Local food bank:

Napanee Salvation Army
135 Mill Street West, Napanee, Ontario

Kingston Community Health Centre gives information about the Good Food Box program, which includes locations in Lennox & Addington County where you can pick up a box. Boxes are available for anyone.