Housing problems – Other help for tenants

Legal Advice

Pro Bono Ontario gives free legal advice to tenants in Ontario who can’t afford a lawyer. They help with matters like enforcing Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) orders or appealing LTB decisions to Divisional Court. Call 1-855-255-7256.

For matters going to the Landlord and Tenant Board, contact us or your local community legal clinic.

Looking for affordable housing

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing has information on their housing page about affordable housing.

Hastings County

Hastings County Community and Human Services – Social Housing provides affordable housing in Hastings County.

228 Church Street
Belleville, Ontario, K8N 5E2
Call 613-771-9630 or 1-866-414-0300
(After hours call Enrichment Centre for Mental Health 1-877-528-9514)

Hastings Housing Resource Centre helps find immediate housing and has a search for emergency services in the county.

Prince Edward / Lennox & Addington Counties

Prince Edward-Lennox & Addington Social Services has information on subsidized housing in their area. View their list of available subsidized housing units.

Help paying rent or utilities

See our tip sheet Financial Resources for Tenants.

For information on energy contracts, visit our Consumer & Debt More Legal Information page, and scroll down to the Energy Contracts heading.

The Ontario Energy Board has help for low-income customers including:

SaveONenergy Home Assistance Program helps low income people reduce their home electricity bills. See also the Green Saver Program.