Consumer and debt – Other help

Legal information and advice

Pro Bono Ontario offers toll-free phone advice to people living in Ontario. Call 1-866-466-7256.


The Bankruptcy Assistance Program is a government program helps individuals seeking to file for bankruptcy hire a bankruptcy trustee if they do not have the means to do so on their own.

The Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy provides more information about bankruptcy, such as:

Credit Counselling

The Ontario Association of Credit Counselling Services (OACCS) will help you find an agency in your area.

Credit Counsellors of OACCS member agencies can help you understand what went wrong, as well as your rights and responsibilities. They can also help you regain financial control.

Resolve Counselling Services Canada has many locations including Belleville, Napanee and Kingston. Call them at 613-966-3556 or 613-579-7850 (toll-free 1-800-379-5556). They can help you:

  • Stop the collection calls
  • Negotiate monthly payments you can afford
  • Protect your assets

Consumer tips and making a complaint

Get Cybersafe is a Government of Canada website, with online shopping tips, and how to stay safe online.

The Canadian Consumer Information Gateway (for across Canada) has information on your rights and how to file a complaint effectively. They offer tools and calculators and links to other sites.

Consumers Council of Canada works collaboratively with consumers, business and government in support of consumers’ rights and responsibilities. Visit their page for tips on how to complain effectively.

Consumer Safety

The Canadian Standards Association is a not-for-profit membership-based association serving business, industry, government and consumers in Canada and the global marketplace, developing standards for public safety and health.

The Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) is a stand-alone, financially self-sustaining not-for-profit corporation. ESA is responsible for public electrical safety in Ontario as designated by Ontario Regulation 89/99. View their page on where to find licensed electrical contractor in your area.

The Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) delivers a variety of public safety education and consumer information programs to increase knowledge around hazards, and promote safer behaviour.

Motor Vehicle Owners

The Automobile Protection Association (APA) is a membership-based non-profit association dedicated to promoting consumer interests in the marketplace.

The Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan is a program where disputes between consumers and vehicle manufacturers about alleged manufacturing defects or implementation of the manufacturers’ new vehicle warranty can be put before a neutral third party (arbitrator) for resolution.

Car Help Canada is a non-profit consumer group, working to benefit the public in automotive related issues.

The Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC) handles disputes between consumers and dealers. They are the regulator of motor vehicle sales in Ontario and enforce the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act, 2010 on behalf of the Ontario government. See their website to learn more about what they do.

View webinars from Your Legal Rights on Motor Vehicle Dealers Act and Motor Vehicle Repairs.

Television, Radio, Telephone and Internet Services

Read our tip sheet on Wireless Service Contracts.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) regulates and supervises all aspects of the Canadian broadcasting system, as well regulates telecommunications common carriers and service providers that fall under federal jurisdiction. See their Complaints and Questions page to make a complaint or ask a question online. They also have consumer fact sheets, such as:

The Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunication Services (CCTS) is an independent agency which helps resolve eligible consumer and small business complaints relating to certain retail telecommunications services, if the communications provider is a member of the CCTS. Their site has an explanation of the complaint process and an online complaint form. Find out if your service provider is a member. If your service provider is not a member, call the CRTC (see above).

Property tax breaks for Belleville, Quinte West and Prince Edward County residents


The City of Belleville offers a property tax credit for people receiving Ontario Disability Support Program benefits (ODSP) or low-income seniors who own their home. Apply at City Hall, the local Ministry of Community and Social Services Office or contact us.

This is offered every year, and the deadline is usually August 30 and the credit can be used for the September property tax payment.

Download the application forms for both programs from the property tax credit programs page of the City of Belleville website. For more information call the Taxation Department at 613-967-3243.

Prince Edward County

Prince Edward County also has a program to defer tax increases for low-income property owners. You must apply by September 30 each year. (All deferred taxes must be paid in full upon the sale of the property or any registered change in title.) Download the application from the County’s website (same form for ODSP recipients or seniors). Call 613-476-2148 for more information.

Quinte West

Quinte West also has a program to defer property taxes for low-income property owners. Call their tax department at 613-392-2841 for more information.