Abuse and family violence – Other help

Legal advice

Legal Aid Ontario (LAO)

Legal Aid Ontario provides legal help for family law problems if you are eligible for their services.

Queen’s Elder Law Clinic

If you live in Napanee or Kingston, Ontario, you can get free legal services from the Queen’s Elder Law Clinic. They offer free legal advice regarding elder abuse and neglect.

Advocacy Centre for the Elderly

The Advocacy Centre for the Elderly gives free legal advice to seniors living on a low income on a variety of issues, including elder abuse.

Private bar lawyers

  • Law Society Referral Service offers a free 30 minute consultation with a lawyer.
  • JusticeNet is a not-for-profit service offering legal services for reduced fees if your income is too high for legal aid and too low to afford standard legal fees.

Support for people experiencing abuse

See our Domestic violence emergencies page or our Family Law Resource Guides for a list of local shelters and other help for people experiencing domestic violence or elder abuse.

See our Counselling Referral Resources list for links to counselling services in Hastings, Prince Edward or Lennox & Addington Counties and Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory.

Compensation for victims of violent crime

Individuals seeking compensation for costs that result from being a victim of crime should contact the Victim Quick Response Program+ (VQRP+).

In Hastings, Prince Edward or Lennox & Addington Counties, or Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory, contact Victim Services at (or call 1-866-680-9972) or Indigenous Victim Services at (or call 613-438-3517). After hours call 1-343-363-0318.

Family law

Visit our Family law problems page for more information and help regarding family law.

Elder abuse

Elder Abuse Ontario

They have a Seniors Safety Line (1-866-299-1011, operating 24/7) that provides information, referrals and support in over 150 languages for seniors experiencing abuse.

Ministry of Seniors Affairs

See their page on elder abuse to find out what to do if you or a senior you know is being abused.

Abuse in nursing homes or retirement homes

Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care

To report an urgent complaint or abuse in nursing homes, call their Long-term Home Care ACTION Line, 1-866-434-0144 (open 8:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m, 7 days a week).

For less urgent complaints, read the long-term care home complaint process on how to make a complaint.

Registrar of the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority

To report abuse in a retirement home, call 1-855-275-7472 or read their Making a Complaint page for less urgent complaints.