Indigenous rights – Other help

Legal advice

Are you an Indigenous person needing legal help from Legal Aid Ontario?

Legal Aid’s Aboriginal Justice Strategy

In 2007, Legal Aid Ontario (“LAO”) commenced the development of an Aboriginal Justice Strategy, with a mandate to develop a three to five year plan to achieve measurable improvements in LAO’s services to Aboriginal people. The plan will provide specific options and recommendations to enhance legal aid services.

On LAO’s website:

Applying for legal aid

Go to our “Getting help from Legal Aid Ontario” page for more information about applying for help from legal aid.

Legal Aid Ontario has waived all financial eligibility requirements for people who identify as Indigenous and who are domestic violence survivors. This will be in effect until further notice.

Aboriginal Legal Services

Aboriginal Legal Services is a legal clinic that provides free legal assistance to Aboriginal people living on a low income in the City of Toronto. They also provides links to other resources.

Other help


Ontario Aboriginal Housing Services helps Indigenous people find rental housing in Ontario. Apply online.

Indigenous homeowners needing repairs to their homes can consult our Where To Go For help chart, under “Home Repair.”

Family services

KFLA Children and Youth Services has a Guide for Indigenous Families and Children that includes information about indigenous services, community groups and events, as well as service descriptions and contact information for some mainstream services and supports for children and families living in Kingston and area, Tyendinaga, Deseronto, Napanee, Sharbot Lake and area, and Bancroft.

Community resources in Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory

If you are a member of the Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte, you can find more information about community resources on their website, including:

Counselling Services

24/7 First Nations and Inuit Hope for Wellness Help Line – access by phone 1-855-242-3310 or online chat at

Residential School Survivors

A national residential school crisis line is available to provide support to former residential school students and those affected.  Call 1-866-925-4419.  Line is open 24/7.

ServiceCanada – Benefits for Indigenous people

ServiceCanada has information about benefits and programs for Indigenous people, including education and training, income assistance and more.

Ministry of Indigenous Affairs

The ministry has information and links to resources including:

Indigenous Services Canada

This federal government website has information and links to resources including

See also: Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada