Health and disability – Other help

Do you need help with a mental health hearing or appeal?

If you need legal help with a mental health hearing or appeal, speak with the patient advocate or rights advisor in the facility where you are admitted or receiving treatment. The patient advocate or rights advisor can advise you of your rights and help you choose a lawyer if one is needed.

For more information, call Legal Aid Ontario toll-free at 1-800-668-8258.

ARCH Disability Law Centre

The ARCH Disability Law Centre gives free legal advice to Ontarians with disabilities about discrimination, mental capacity/trustee issues, education, employment, estate planning, immigration, mental health, disability supports, abuse, home care and transportation. They may also represent people in cases regarding findings of incapacity or abuse by a guardian or power of attorney.  See their COVID-19 page for resources.

AODA Alliance

The AODA Alliance (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act Alliance) is a disability consumer advocacy group that works to support the full and effective implementation of accessibility standards in Ontario.

Counselling Services

Canada Suicide Prevention Service – call 1-833-456-4566, open 24/7/365 or text 45645 from 4pm to midnight.  See their resources page for more links.

Hastings and Prince Edward Counties

Addictions and Mental Health Services has a 24/7 crisis line, 310-OPEN (6736),  with access to counselling services.

Lennox & Addington County

Addictions and Mental Health Services 24 hour crisis line is 613-354-7388 or toll-free at 1-800-267-7877. They also offer rural services by appointment in Amherstview, Deseronto, Tamworth and Northbrook, call 613-354-7521.

See our Where To Go For Help chart for other mental health services available.


AbilitiCBT is an internet-based cognitive behavioral therapy (iCBT) program that you can access from any device, any time.  AbilitiCBT is FREE if you live in Ontario or Manitoba, thanks to partnership with the provincial government.

Finding a doctor

Health Care Connect can help you to find a family doctor in your community.

Ontario Virtual Care Clinic will connect you to an on-call doctor by video.  This is an online service only, no phone calls.  Consult your family doctor first if you have one. This service is for simple, non-urgent health questions, during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Telemed MD is a nationwide platform that helps you get medical attention from home (enter your postal code to search for a clinic in your area).  Order prescriptions, referrals, requisitions and more.  Book an appointment online and a doctor will call you at home.

Health Care Services

Assistive Devices Program provides support and funding to Ontario residents who have long-term physical disabilities and provides access to personalized assistive devices.

If you, or someone you care about needs health care services at home, at school or in the community, or if you are considering supported living programs or long-term care options, Home and Community Care at the South East Local Health Integration Network can help.

Community Care offices provide a range of services for seniors and adults with disabilities:

Community Living, Belleville and Area offers a parent support group for parents of adult children with learning disabilities.

Quinte LinkAGE is an Outpatient Team at Belleville General Hospital for those with possible dementia, medication issues or seniors at risk. They will complete an assessment and link the senior with community supports.

Hospital at Home (in Prince Edward County) is a pilot project giving enhanced medical and clinical management for patients of the Prince Edward Family Health Team who are experiencing increasing difficulty managing and are at imminent risk of hospitalization. Ask your family doctor about it.

SouthEast Health Line links to health care services for residents of Southeast Ontario and includes links to services and facilities for disabled persons or those with special needs who want to stay independent and in their homes as long as possible.

Visit the Health Network for Uninsured Clients (HNUC) for information on how undocumented people can access healthcare.

Home/vehicle modifications

March of Dimes Home & Vehicle Modification Program gives funding for basic home/vehicle modifications for disabled people in Ontario. To apply download the form and mail, fax or email it to March of Dimes.

Services for the Deaf or Deafblind

Disability Tax Credit – What it is and how to apply

See our Disability Tax Credit Tip Sheet.

Also, visit the Canada Revenue Agency site for information on:

Other help for income assistance

If you are looking for other help regarding your government income assistance, please see our Income assistance – Other help page.

Other help for seniors

If you or a family member is experiencing abuse in a nursing home or retirement home, see our Abuse and family violence – Other help page.

If you are a senior looking for other help, see our Senior’s issues – other help page.