Criminal law – More legal information

Demanding money when accused of shoplifting

If you are being asked to pay money after you or your child has been accused of shoplifting, see our LEARN LAW Column: Shoplifting Demand Letters for what to do.

Trouble finding work due to a criminal record

A criminal record shows if you have been convicted of a crime.  You can ask to remove a conviction from your record under certain circumstances. This is called a record suspension. Read Criminal Records and Your Employment for information.

Cannabis use in Canada

Find information on what the law is regarding cannabis use in Canada and specifically in Ontario.

Tickets and Fines

Find information about what to do when you’ve received a ticket or fine on the Ministry of the Attorney General’s Justice Ontario website.

Other sources of legal information

Preparing for court is a site for youth preparing for court.

Children and youth

Justice for Children and Youth is a legal clinic that offers select legal representation to low-income children and youth in Toronto and vicinity. They have many publications, pamphlets and newsletters, including ones on youth criminal justice.

See their infographic and page on cannabis laws in Ontario.

Legal Aid Ontario is a legal information resource from Legal Aid Ontario.

Ministry of Attorney General

The Ministry’s criminal law page links to information such as what happens in criminal court if you are an accused person or if you are a witness, and more.

Older Adults

The Provincial Human Services and Justice Coordinating Committee (HSJCC) has developed a guidebook to help caregivers and service providers of older adults and adults with age-related conditions navigate the justice system.

Ontario Court of Justice

The Ontario Court of Justice has guides for people who are representing themselves at court: