COVID-19 Information and Resources
CALC is available to help you by phone or email, during regular business hours. Please continue to contact us for help with your legal problem. We may see you in person, but by appointment only. Those clients must follow these rules in order to enter.
Here are some key links to resources and more information about COVID-19:
For links to local sources of information or help in our clinic’s service area, see our COVID-19 local resources page.
Steps to Justice – COVID-19 – comprehensive site providing practical answers to questions people are asking about the law relating to COVID-19. They are also sharing updates about changes to government programs and court services. (See yellow button on sidebar.)
Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) – LAO’s COVID-19 update on their client services (family, criminal and immigration law)
- LAO’s changes to summary advice services due to COVID-19 – LAO waiving financial eligibility requirements for summary legal advice. Legal eligibility requirements remain in place.
Government income replacement and emergency assistance programs
Benefits Wayfinder – Prosper Canada has developed this online tool with four ways to search for government benefits
Information on the GIS for Seniors – One-time grant given to Guaranteed Income Supplement recipients who received pandemic benefits
Social assistance (Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support)
- Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services – Ontario Works – COVID-19 information for those currently on Ontario Works
- Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services – ODSP – COVID-19 information for those currently on Ontario Disability Support
Provincial assistance programs
Ontario Community Support Association – helps isolated, low-income seniors and people with disabilities and chronic medical conditions across Ontario get meals, groceries, medicine and other essentials to stay safe at home during COVID-19
Ontario COVID-19 Worker Income Protection Benefit – extended to July 31, 2022
Federal assistance programs
Canada’s COVID-19 List of Income Supports Available – includes links to apply – benefits include the CERB, Canada Child Benefit extra payment, GST extra payment, etc.
- Find Financial Help During COVID-19 – Gov’t of Canada site
- Vaccine Injury Support Program – a claim can now be submitted if an individual experienced a serious and permanent injury or died as a result of receiving the vaccine, call 1-833-489-0839 for more info
- Canada Benefits Finder – not sure what benefits you qualify for? Check here
- Employment and Social Development Canada – EI and other federal programs
Bill 184: Wrong Bill, Wrong Time – support ACTO’s recommendations for changes to Bill 184, which affects tenants. Send an email to the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing
Information for Landlords:
Employment and work
From the Ministry of Labour:
Ministry of Health – Guidance for health and other work sectors
Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) – FAQs about claims and COVID-19
Consumer and debt issues
Consumer Protection Ontario – report price gouging related to COVID-19
Energy Bill Assistance Programs – programs available
COVID-19 Fraud – be aware of scams
TransUnion Canada – how to deal with credit issues during COVID-19
Legal Aid Ontario – Family law page – financial eligibility requirements no longer waived (Indigenous survivors still waived). However, the 2 hours of free legal advice for domestic violence survivors no longer has any financial eligibility requirements. See their domestic violence page for details. See also their COVID-19 page.
Luke’s Place Virtual Legal Clinic – expanded services during COVID-19 to provide free legal advice on family law issues to women anywhere in Ontario who have been subjected to intimate partner violence
National Self-Represented Litigants Project (NSRLP) – COVID-19 resources for self-represented litigants. See also the Guide for Self-Represented Family Litigants During COVID-19 from the Ontario Court of Justice.
Law Society of Ontario – COVID-19 response page
People charged with a crime
Correctional Service Canada – COVID-19 preparedness and plans
Parole Board of Canada and COVID-19 – page on operational measures in response to COVID-19
Other legal issues:
Justice for Children and Youth (legal clinic for low-income children and youth in Toronto and vicinity) – COVID-19 update page with infographics and links
Steps to Justice – COVID-19 Immigration and Refugee – see also here if you need medical attention but don’t have status
Courts and Tribunals, Government offices:
- Steps to Justice – Tribunals and Courts
- Going to Court – Ontario government page
- Ontario Small Claims Court (SCC) – Notice to the profession
- Ontario Tribunals – Guide to Videoconferencing
- ServiceOntario Centre Closures – list of offices open or closed
Advice for Non-Profits and Startups:
- Call the Pro Bono Ontario Legal Advice Hotline, toll-free 1-855-255-7256 (all in-person help suspended)
- Free financial advice is available for small businesses and entrepreneurs, including charities and non-profit organizations, affected by COVID-19.
See our local resources page for local help within our service area.
Supporting movements for a “just” recovery:
- Just Recovery Ontario – campaign for an equitable recovery in Ontario post-pandemic – key focus on adequate, accessible income supports
- Basic Income Canada Network – join and support the movement for a Basic Income Guarantee for all
- Principles of a Just Recovery – a movement for a #JustRecoveryforAll that puts people first – endorsed by Citizens for Public Justice
- Recovery for All – join the fight to end homelessness in Canada
- Full immigration status for all – for a Just Recovery from COVID-19
- Responding to Hate Guide and Responding to Hate List of Organizations – guides created by the Chinese & Southeast Asian Legal Clinic to explain your rights and provide resources for help when you are the victim of hate crimes or racist incidents
- Take Action for a Green and Just Recovery – from the Canadian Environmental Law Association (CELA), part of the One Earth One Voice movement
- Climate Action Network – Seven principles to align COVID-19 recovery with Canada’s climate commitments
- Promoting a Green Recovery – sharing solutions for a green recovery around six themes: Buildings, Power, Transport, Heavy industry, Forests and Energy
- Make it Better project – developed by the Ontario Public Health Association (OPHA) in partnership with leading health and environmental organizations working to protect children’s health, which is being affected by the changing climate.
OHIP Coverage – Ontario is providing medically necessary services to everyone in the province, whether they have government health insurance or not (see News Release waiving 3 month waiting period for OHIP)
World Health Organization – COVID-19 information and updates
Mental health resources
Addictions and Mental Health Services, Hastings Prince Edward – local pandemic hotline is now closed – if you need help call 310-OPEN (6736) OR call 1-888-757-7766 (Enrichment Centre for Mental Health‘s mental health crisis line)
Help Line for Indigenous People – Hope for Wellness – 1-855-242-3310, 24 hrs/day, 7 days/week or use the chatline on their website – counselling available in many languages
BounceBack Ontario – free skill-building program managed by the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA). It is designed to help adults and youth 15+ manage low mood, mild to moderate depression and anxiety, stress or worry. Delivered over the phone with a coach and through online videos, you will get access to tools that will support you on your path to mental wellness. (See their Covid-19 tip sheet.)
Homewood Health – free counselling to anyone in Ontario (during Covid), funded by Health Canada. Call 1-866-585-0445. Right now all sessions are virtual, so you need access to either a phone or computer.
Centre for Innovation in Campus Mental Health – mental health resources for post-secondary students, includes Covid-19 resources
Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) – Mental health resources
Mental Health Commission – Mental health and wellness during the COVID-19 pandemic
Tribunals Ontario – latest news