Referrals - Mental Health - Community Advocacy & Legal Centre

Referrals - Mental Health Services

Mental Health Services in Hastings and Prince Edward Counties


As a community-based mental health agency, Addictions and Mental Health Services help people over the age of 16 who have a mental illness or mental health concerns. Because they are funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, their services are free.


They work with people who have Schizophrenia, Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Personality Disorder, Severe Anxiety, Dementia, Alzheimer's disease, or Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.  Services include Case Management, Counselling, Court Diversion, Hospital Liaison, Housing, Social and Recreational programs, Support Groups, Client Advocacy, and Family Support and Education. 


A referral may be made by the person that is requesting service or by a friend, family member, doctor, social worker, etc. as long as that person has consented to the referral.  To make a referral for mental health and/or addictions support, please call Open Line, Open Mind at 310-OPEN (6736). They are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Office Locations

Psychiatric Patient Advocate Office

The Psychiatric Patient Advocate Office (PPAO) was established in 1983 to protect the civil and legal rights of inpatients in the current and former Ontario provincial psychiatric hospitals. They provide advocacy services to individual patients (instructed and non-instructed), addresses facility-based or provincial systemic issues impacting on patients' rights, rights advice services, public and health care professional education through speaking engagements, publishing reports and media releases.


The PPAO hosted a series of free workshops across Ontario in Fall 2006 regarding mental health legislation. Of interest to clients, families, caregivers, health practitioners and service providers, the workshops were held in Hamilton, Kingston, London, Ottawa, Thunder Bay, Toronto and Windsor. Presentation materials are available on the PPAO website.

Legal Aid Ontario

Mental Health Duty Counsel - If you are appearing in mental health court on a criminal matter without a lawyer, duty counsel can assist you at your first appearance.  If you are in custody or receiving treatment at a mental health care facility, you can get assistance with legal aid applications from the Patient Advocate/Rights Advisor in the mental health facility where you are located.

Mental Health Fact Sheets

ARCH worked with mental health consumer/ survivors and community advocates to develop two fact sheets for people with mental health disabilities.

One fact sheet, called Discrimination and People who use Mental Health Services and Supports, provides information about human rights and the right to be free from discrimination. It also describes some steps people can take if they think they have been discriminated against.

The other fact sheet, entitled Understanding How Mental Health Laws Affect You – Getting Interpreter Services, provides information about the right to language interpretation services at Consent and Capacity Board hearings, Ontario Review Board hearings, Mental Health Court and in other situations.

Both of these fact sheets are available in English, French, Amharic, Brazilian Portuguese, Traditional Chinese, Punjabi, Tamil and Vietnamese, and in PDF and formats accessible to screen readers.

To access the fact sheets see: If you would like a hard copy or other format of the fact sheets, please contact ARCH.