Referrals - Income Tax General - Community Advocacy & Legal Centre

Referrals - Income Tax - General

 We do not assist in the area of tax law or income tax preparation.  We do offer the following referrals:

General Information on Income Tax

For general information about your income taxes, call Revenue Canada at 1-800-959-8281


For information about Child Tax Benefits, GST, Child Disability Benefits etc., call Revenue Canada's Benefit Enquiries Line at 1-800-387-1193.


If you disagree with your assessment, call Revenue Canada at 1-800-959-8281


The "Complaints and Disputes" page of their website outlines how to request a formal review. In these situations, appeals representatives who were not involved in the original decision are available to conduct a formal and impartial review.


Canada Revenue Agency Service Complaints - to complain about the service you received


Webinar - Helping Clients Navigate CRA Objections and Appeals - Recorded June 12, 2015


For tax information and services available for people with disabilities, visit the Canada Revenue Agency's People with Disabilities page. 


You can get tax credits even if you don't owe any taxes, but you must file your return to claim them.  To learn more about what low income earners, seniors and those living in Northern Ontario can get when they file their taxes, please read the following brochures (bilingual):  


Canada Child Benefit

See CLEO's "On the Radar" article for information about the Canada Child Benefit (CCB).

See also, the Canada Revenue Agency web page for info about CCB, and their online benefits calculator.

Disability Tax Credit

See our Disability Tax Credit page for more information on how to apply.

Property Tax

To learn more about property tax relief for residences built or modified to accommodate seniors or persons with disabilities, visit this page of the Guide to Programs and Services for Seniors in Ontario (scroll down to "Provincial Tax Credits and Benefits").