Legal Information - Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) - FAQ

This page offers answers to questions most frequently asked by our clients regarding the Ontario Disability Support Program. 

Our Social Assistance tip sheets:

Q: How do I apply for Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)?

A: You can apply at your local Ministry of Community and Social Services office. You will be asked to provide information about your personal and financial situations.

The ODSP office will decide whether you are financially eligible. If ODSP finds that you are financially eligible, you will be sent or given forms to fill out. Complete all these forms and send them to the Disability Adjudication Unit (DAU) in Toronto within 90 days of the date that they were mailed or given to you.

You can also apply online by visiting (Click the "Apply Online" link on left side of the page. 

If you have trouble using the Online Application for Social Assistance, please call Service Ontario 1-855-231-1255 for help, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00pm (Eastern Standard Time).

Q:  What happens after I send in my forms?

A:  The Disability Adjudication Unit (DAU) will decide whether you are a person with a disability and therefore someone who qualifies for ODSP benefits.

Q:  What if I am refused Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) benefits?

A:  First you must write to the office that made the decision and ask for an "internal review" within 30 days from the date you receive the decision to refuse you assistance. If you get an internal review decision that says that you are still refused assistance, you may file an appeal with the Social Benefits Tribunal (SBT).

Q:  What is an internal review?

A:  You must write to the office that made the decision and request an "internal review". An internal review means that a different person in the office that made the decision will review that decision and decide whether or not to change it. You must ask for an internal review within 30 days from the date you received the decision. If the decision is mailed to you, you may have less than 30 days.

Q:  What if I disagree with internal review decision?

A:  You can appeal to the Social Benefits Tribunal (SBT). There are time limits for filing your appeal with the SBT.

Q:  How do I appeal to the Social Benefits Tribunal?

A:  You must use the official Appeal Form. You can get one from our office. You must file your appeal with the SBT within 30 days of the date of the internal review decision.

Common Questions from Your Legal Rights:


Information on ODSP:

The Law 

  The Law













Read the latest in Social Assistance News.



Other Income Programs: