Legal Information - Homelessness & Emergencies

Are you facing homelessness?  Do you have an emergency?  Resources that can help are listed below.

Housing Emergencies

Ministry of Community and Social Services - help for women who are fleeing domestic violence  


List of Rent Assistance and Housing Resources - our tip sheet for Hastings, Lennox & Addington and Prince Edward Counties. This is a list of places you can get funds from to help you with your rent arrears.


Local Ontario Works office - provides assistance for emergency housing if you have become homeless even if you are not currently a recipient of Ontario Works. If you are a recipient of Ontario Works (or Ontario Disability) and are being evicted for rent arrears, you can ask for help from the Housing and Homelessness Fund to help pay these arrears and prevent your eviction or to pay start up costs at a new residence.


Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) - Emergency financial help for electricity or gas bills - See our LEAP Tip Sheet for how/where to apply in our service area


Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO) - publications available on Eviction, Fighting an Eviction.


Hastings County


Are you homeless?  In Hastings County, anyone who is in a homeless situation between 8:30 am - 4:30 pm should call 613-771-9630 or 1-866-414-0300 or report directly to the nearest Ontario Works office.  Outside of these hours, you can call 1-877-528-9514 (Canadian Mental Health Association) (including weekends/holidays).


Youthab - The Transition Home provides safe and affordable housing to young people aged 16 – 24 who are looking for a home but are not ready to live on their own yet.  The Co-Operative Housing Program provides safe and affordable housing to young people aged 16 – 24 who are ready for semi-independent living. 


Hastings Housing Resource Centre (HHRC) - provides assistance locating and securing immediate temporary and permanent housing for residents of Hastings County.  They provide listings of available housing, information and support to tenants. Landlords can list units for free.


The HHRC provides emergency assistance information on their site.  This emergency help page will provide you with information (for Belleville, Quinte West, Centre Hastings and North Hastings) on the following:

  •  housing

  •  food

  •  shelters (for women and children)

  •  addiction

  •  financial assistance (Ontario Works emergency fund, community trust)

  •  counselling

  •  medical help

  •  clothing

Food Resources


Hastings & Prince Edward Counties


Food Access Guide - The Hastings & Prince Edward Health Unit website has the Food Access Guide, which provides information about free or low cost food and meal programs in Hastings and Prince Edward Counties. 


Hastings County Community Services Booklet (2017) - Produced by Hastings County Social Services - includes information on food banks and meal programs for all of Hastings County (including Quinte West).


Good Food Box - Hastings and Prince Edward Counties - from the Community Development Council of QuinteThey also have the Good Baby Box. Fresh fruits and vegetables to help your family stretch their food dollar, reduce food costs and meet the food needs of the family through bulk buying and volume discounts. This program is open to everyone.

Lennox & Addington County

Lennox & Addington County Community Agencies - several food banks and other community agencies listed here


Good Food Box - Napanee - The Napanee Community Health Centre (6 Dundas Street East in Napanee) is an ordering/host site for the Good Food Box.



Domestic Violence

Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO) - produces 2 pamphlets on domestic violence and a Safety Plan:

  • "Do You Know a Woman Who is Being Abused?" is available online here

  • "Immigrant Women and Domestic Violence" (this link is to the web page the pamphlet is located on - scroll down to "Immigration and Refugee Fact Sheets" and click on the pamphlet name).

  • "My Safety Plan" - fillable PDF that people in abusive relationships can use to keep themselves and their children safe.  It also includes organizations you can contact for help, and a checklist of things to keep in an emergency bag if you need to leave your home quickly.

  • Other Publications from CLEO on Abuse and Family Violence

Victim Quick Response Program (Victim Services) – Provides financial assistance to victims of violent crime. They must have reported the crime to the police. This program covers emergency expenses, i.e. crime scene clean-up; short-term immediate counselling, locks changed, cell phones, and emergency home repairs.

Victim Services Belleville – 1-866-680-9972
Victim Services Napanee – 1-877-354-4151
Victim Services Quinte West – 613-392-3561


Ontario Women's Justice Network - an online legal resource for women's organizations and individuals working on issues related to justice and violence against women and children. 

Resources for Family Court Advocates - online resource for those supporting survivors of family violence through the family court process in Ontario


Your Legal Rights - view their pages on partner abuse and family law.


Advocacy Centre for the Elderly - a clinic specializing in assisting low-income seniors.  Their Elder Abuse page provides definitions of abuse and links to FAQ's, ACE publications and other sources of information.


Maggie's Resource Centre (Bancroft) - (613) 332-3010

Alternatives for Women (Picton) - (613) 476-2787 or Toll Free 1-877-499-6636 


YWCA Canada - Turning Point Programs - address personal safety, economic security and well-being

Emergency Shelters

Three Oaks Foundation (613) 966-3074 or 1-800-267-0533
Serves all of Hastings and Prince Edward County


Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory
Red Cedars Shelter (613) 967-2003 or 1-800-672-9515

This shelter serves both aboriginal and non-aboriginal women


Three Oaks Foundation (613) 473-1976 or Toll Free 1-888-275-0710
(Note: Madoc office doesn’t actually have a shelter. The office is for ongoing counselling and outreach purposes. You can call this number in any event and if need be the call will be directly rolled over to the Belleville line, and the Belleville office will make shelter arrangements.)


Lennox & Addington Interval House  613-354-1010 or Toll Free 1-800-667-1010

Crisis Lines (24 hour service) - online resource - one stop connection for women seeking shelter from domestic abuse


Talk4Healing - free, 24/7, culturally safe help line for Aboriginal women in northern Ontario


Three Oaks Foundation - 613-966-3074 or 1-800-267-0533

Sexual Assault Centre for Quinte & District - Toll free crisis line: 1-877-544-6424


Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Response Program (DV/SARP):
      Quinte Health Care 613-969-7400 or 613-332-2825, ext. 5024

       Crisis Intervention:

  • Crisis Intervention Centre Direct Line - 613-962-7227 OR 1-888-757-7766

  • Quinte Health Care - 613-969-7400 ext. 2753 OR 613-969-5511 ext. 2753

  • Open Line, Open Mind - 310-OPEN (310-6736) - information, support and referral to all mental health and addictions services in Hastings & Prince Edward Counties in Ontario, Canada - open 24/7

 Alternatives for Women (613) 476-2787 or Toll Free 1-877-499-6636

Three Oaks Foundation (613) 473-1976 or Toll Free 1-888-275-0710

Lennox & Addington Interval House  613-354-1010 or Toll Free 1-800-667-1010

For non-sexual abuse or abuse not by an intimate partner:

Counselling Services of Belleville and District - 966-7413



Sexual Assault Centre Quinte & District - Free counselling for women/men survivors of historical sexual abuse or recent sexual assault. Counselling is available for survivors, and they also provide support and information for parents and partners of survivors, including counselling services for non-offending parents of child victims.

Sexual Assault Centre Kingston - provides free, confidential, short-term and long-term counseling to female survivors of sexual violence. A First Response Worker is at the Napanee and Area Community Health Centre office one Friday every month.

Back to Top

Emergency Resources:

Visit our Tenants page for more information for tenants.