Family law problems – Other help
Legal Aid Ontario (LAO)
Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) provides legal help for family law problems if you are eligible for their services.
LAO provides legal advice, information and referrals over the phone, as well as Legal Aid certificates (if you are financially eligible) that you can take to a private lawyer to represent you. They are open Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You can contact LAO directly at 1 800-668-8258 or TTY (for the Deaf): 1-866-641-8867.
You may be able to get help with these family law problems if you qualify financially:
- divorce and separation
- child custody and access
- support payment
- Children’s Aid matters
Separation Agreement Certificates: Legal Aid Ontario provides up to 10 hours of legal advice from a lawyer to negotiate and draw up a legally-binding separation agreement to settle child custody, child access, income support and property issues.
You can get free family law mediation services at the Family Law Information Centre (FLIC) on the day you are scheduled for court:
- Hastings FLIC - 15 Bridge Street West, Main Floor, Belleville
- Lennox & Addington FLIC - 41 Dundas Street West, 2nd floor, Napanee
You can also get off-site mediation services for a cost. Your fee is calculated on a sliding scale:
- Hastings: Vicky Visca & Associates, 1-855-275-6328
- Lennox & Addington: Limestone Mediation, 1-800-269-9730
Private bar lawyers
- Law Society Referral Service offers a free 30-minute consultation with a lawyer .
- Justice Net is a not-for-profit service offering legal services for reduced fees if your income is too high for legal aid and too low to afford standard legal fees. Call to see if there is a lawyer in your area.
Other sources of help
Ontario works offices: Family support unit services
Ontario Works (OW) helps people on OW get and enforce support agreements and/or orders.
Family responsibility office
The Family Responsibility Office helps enforce child and spousal support agreements and orders.
Credit & financial counselling services
Resolve Counselling Services helps with money management, creditor advocacy and debt management. They also provide a Family Court Support Worker in the Napanee area.
Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP) offices
Your MPP can help with Family Responsibility Office matters:
Tontakaierine Tyendinaga Justice Circle Courtworker
The Justice Circle may provide personal support on a case-by-case basis to people going through the family court system.
Supervised access services
These organizations provide a safe place for supervised visits and exchanges.
- Supervised Access Services for Hastings, Prince Edward Counties: 613-968-7362
- Salvation Army Supervised Access Centre in Napanee: 15 Dairy Avenue, 613-354-8287
Compensation for victims of violent crime
The Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB) offers financial compensation for physical or psychological harm resulting from a violent crime in Ontario. You can contact us for help applying for compensation.
Domestic violence support
Help for the Deaf
The Canadian Hearing Society (CHS) can schedule an interpreter and/or Communication Access RealTime Translation (CART) services for court dates and /or meetings with a lawyer. They also provide support counsellors.