Family law problems – More legal information
Paths to Justice: Family Law Resource Guides
We’ve put together comprehensive guides for family law. Consult these guides for where to find legal advice, legal information, help with forms, help from a mediator, child and spousal support calculators, and more.
Read our LEARN Law Newspaper Columns on Legal Separation and Where Can I Find More Information About Family Law.
Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO)
- Guided Pathway to Divorce Forms (Steps to Justice) - take users through a series of questions to help them complete their divorce forms correctly (more about the pathways project)
- pamphlets on family law are available online, including "An Introduction to Family Law in Ontario"
- Steps in a Family Law Case (flowchart)
- Safety Plan - helps people in abusive relationships create a safety plan
Your Legal Rights
Visit their family law page for information on all areas of family law.
Frequently asked questions (FAQS)
Find answers to common family questions:
Children’s Aid matters
Legal Aid’s fact sheet on Children's Aid, "Has children's aid contacted you?" offers information on what to do if you have been contacted by Children's Aid and whether you qualify for help from a lawyer paid by Legal Aid.
CLEO has a fact sheet for parents as well, in multiple languages.
Family Responsibility Office
The Family Responsibility Office (FRO) has information about FRO, as well as forms and links.
Ministry of attorney general (MAG)
MAG’s family justice page provides links to information about:
- arranging child support
- Family Law Information Centres (FLIC)
- family law guides
- family law rules and forms
- family arbitration
- Online publications such as:
Adoption, and children with special needs
The Ministry of Children and Youth Service offers information and resources on indigenous children and youth, adoption, children with special needs and Children's Aid.
Are you representing yourself without the help of a lawyer?
The National self-represented litigants project (NSRLP) publishes resources for people representing themselves in court, as well as research reports.
- Child custody and protection - presented by Zahra Dhanani, the legal director of Metropolitan Action Committee on Violence Against Women and Children (Metrac)
- Understanding the children's aid society process from the inside - presented by Metrac